top of page

Frequently Asked Questions

Modern Architecture

What is special education advocacy?

Special education advocacy refers to the process of supporting and promoting the educational rights and needs of students with disabilities. Advocates work to ensure that children with special needs receive appropriate educational services, accommodations, and support to help them thrive academically and socially.

My child doesn't have a "severe" disability.  Do I need an advocate?

The decision to hire an advocate is entirely a personal choice.  However, advocates at GSEA are experts in the field of special education.  Regardless if your child has an IEP with 1 goal and a couple of accommodations, or 20 goals with 30 accommodations, your child is receiving specialized instruction from the school.  Our advocates can support you and your child in making sure that the plan is as strong, effective, and realistic as possible.

Who can benefit from special education advocacy?

Special education advocacy can benefit students with a wide range of disabilities, including but not limited to learning disabilities (LD), autism spectrum disorder (ASD), attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD), intellectual disabilities (ID), emotional disabilities (ED), and physical disabilities. It is applicable to students of all ages, from preschool through post-secondary education.

What are the key roles of a special education advocate?

A special education advocate typically helps parents, guardians, or students themselves navigate the complex special education system. Some common roles of an advocate include understanding individual rights, assisting with Individualized Education Program (IEP) development and meetings, providing guidance on the evaluation and eligibility process, and facilitating communication between parents and school personnel.

How can an advocate help with the Individualized Education Program (IEP) process?

An advocate can assist in various ways during the IEP process. They can help parents understand the process, explain their rights, review and provide input on the proposed goals and accommodations, attend IEP meetings to ensure the student's needs are adequately addressed, and help resolve any disagreements that may arise between the parents and the school district.

Can GSEA offer psychological, medical, or legal advice?

Greenwich Special Education Advocates cannot act as an attorney, nor supply legal, medical, or psychological advice.  If you are looking to take legal action, please seek out an attorney.

bottom of page